Syed Sohail Ali, M.D.
2010-2011 Interventional Cardiology Fellowship at the University of Michigan.
2007-2010 Cardiovascular Diseases Fellowship at the University of Michigan.
2004-2007 Internal Medicine Internship and Residency at the University of Minnesota.
1997-2002 Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan. (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery).
1995-97 Adamjee Government Science College Karachi, Pakistan. Higher Secondary School Education (F.Sc. Pre-Medical).
ABIM Interventional Cardiology Certified.
ABIM Cardiology Certified.
ABIM Board Certified.
USMLE Step 1 99th Percentile (score 258).
USMLE Step 2 99th Percentile (score 255).
USMLE Step 3 94th Percentile (score 228).
HONORS AND AWARDS:
2002-03 Awarded XIII Star Gold Medal titled “Leaders of New Millennium” and “Star Laureate 2002” in the field of “Medicine” by South Asia Publications.
1997-2002 Merit award for Medicine and Pharmacology.
Merit award (first position) in part II, III, and IV MBBS examinations.
Honors in Medicine, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Anatomy and Biochemistry. Honors viva in Surgery, Primary Health Care, Pediatrics and Ophthalmology.
2001-02 Begum Shafiqa Zia-ul-Haq Scholarship and Bayer Scholarship, Aga Khan University, Karachi.
2000-01 Begum Shafiqa Zia-ul-Haq Scholarship and Begum Shaukat Haroon Scholarship, Aga Khan University, Karachi.
1999 Aga Khan University Scholarship for academic performance.
2011-to date Cardiology and Interventional Cardiology consultant at Toledo Cardiology Consultants, Inc. Toledo, Ohio.
2002-04 Teaching Assistant at the Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan.
Responsibilities included amendments and transition to the new problem based learning curriculum. Conducting problem based learning sessions of student groups and generation of questions for academic assessment.
1. Ali SS, Gurm H, Grossman PM. Contrast induced nephropathy in patients undergoing peripheral vascular intervention: incidence, risk factors and outcomes (manuscript under writing).
2. Leitz K, Brown K, Ali SS, Colvin-Adams M, Boyle AJ, Anderson D, Miller LW. The role of cerebral hyperperfusion in postoperative neurological dysfunction after left ventricular assist device implantation for end stage heart failure. J Thorac Cardiovas Surg 2009; 137: 1012-9.
3. Ali SS, Olinger C, Sobotka PA, Dahle TG, Bunte MC, Blake D, Campbell SC, Boyle AJ. Loop diuretics can cause clinical natriuretic failure: a prescription for volume expansion. Congest Heart Fail 2009; 15: 1-4.
4. Garcia S, Akbar S, Ali SS, Kamdar F, Tsai M, Duprez D. N-terminal pro B-type natriuretic peptide predicts mortality in patients with left ventricular hypertrophy. Int J Cardiol 2009 [Epub ahead of print].
5. Adams MC, Ali SS. Who should pay for home monitoring in heart failure? Curr Cardiol Rep 2006; 8: 191-7.
6. Ali SS, Olinger CC, Sobotka PA, Bernard S, Dahle TG, Bunte MC, Blake D, Campbell S, Boyle AJ. Enhanced sodium extraction with ultrafiltration compared to intravenous diuretics. Minnesota Medicine February 2007: 46.
7. Dahle TG, Blake D, Ali SS, Olinger CC, Bunte MC, Boyle AJ. Large volume ultrafiltration for acute decompensated heart failure using standard peripheral intravenous catheters. J Card Fail. 2006; 12: 349-52.
8. Rabbani MA, Zaidi A, Ahmad B, Ali SS, Younus A, Soofi Z, Shah SM. Pre-operative renal function and selective renal vein renin levels as markers for favorable outcome in renovascular hypertension. J Pak Med Assoc 2007,57: 178-81.
9. Rabbani MA, Ali SS, Murtaza G, Ahmad B, Maria Q, Siddiqui BK, Shah SM, Ahmad A. Clinical presentation and outcome of autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease in Pakistan: a single center experience. J Pak Med Assoc 2008; 58:305-9.
10. Umer M, Nawaz H, Kasi PM, Ahmed M, Ali SS. Outcome of triple procedure in older children with developmental dysplasia of hip (DDH). J Pak Med Assoc 2007; 57: 591-5.
11. Rabbani MA, Siddiqui BK, Tahir MH, Ahmad B, Shamim A, Majid S, Ali SS, Shah SM, Ahamad A. Do clinical manifestations of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in Pakistan correlate with rest of Asia? J Pak Med Assoc. 2006; 56: 222-7.
12. Malik A, Jammel MN, Ali SS, Mir S. Human granulocytic Erlichiosis affecting the myocardium. Journal of General Internal Medicine 2005; 20: 958.
13. Malik A, Ali SS, Rahmatullah A. Deglutition induced atrial fibrillation. Texas Heart Institute Journal 2005; 32: 602-4.
14. Ali SS, Zafar Afia, Muzaffar S, Aslam F, Khan JA. Bilateral breast enlargement due to Trichophyton rubrum. Breast 2005 Epub
15. Beg MA, Ali SS, Haqqee R, Khan MA, Qasim Z, Hussain R, Smego RA Jr. Rapid Immunochromatography-based detection of mixed-species malaria infection in Pakistan. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 2005; 36: 203-205.
16. Rabbani MA, Ahmad B, Shah SM, Mekan SF, Ali SS, Ahmed A. Clinico-laboratory findings in male lupus patients from a tertiary care hospital, Pakistan. J Pak Med Assoc. 2005; 55: 165-6.
17. Qidwai, W, Ali SS, Ayub S, AyubS. Healing during physician-patient consultation. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 2005; 15: 689-92.
18. Qidwai W, Ali SS, Baqir M, Ayub S. Patient expectations from an emergency medical service. J Ayub Med Coll Abottabad 2005; 17:3-6.
19. Rabbani MA, Ahmad B, Mekan SF, Muzaffar S, Ali SS. Systemic lupus erythematosus presenting as hemolytic uremic syndrome: A case report. J Pak Med Assoc. 2005; 55: 84-87.
20. Alam M, Ahmed M, Ali SS, Atiq M, Akhtar YN, Ansari A, Chaudhry FA, Bashir H, Farid-ul-Husnain, Zafar A. Pedriatic stool cultures: Seasonal variation in bacterial pathogens isolated in Karachi, Pakistan. Trop Doct. 2005; 35: 21-23.
21. Mekan SF, Rabbani MA, Azhar-uddin M, Ali SS. Radiocontrast nephropathy: is it dose related or not? J Pak Med Assoc. 2004; 54:372-4.
22. Qidwai W, Ali SS, Baqir M, Ayub S. Consequences of a medical emergency among emergency room patients. Pak J Med Sci 2004; 2: 141-144.
23. Qidwai W, Ali SS, Baqir M, Ayub S. Level of preparedness of patients for medical emergency. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 2004; 14: 193.
24. Siddiqui K, Nazir Z, Ali SS, Pervaiz S. Is routine histological evaluation of pediatric hernial sac necessary? Pediatr surg Int 2004; 20: 133-135.
25. Ali SS, Rabbani MA, Moinuddin SSM, Virani S, Farooque F, Salam A, Ahmad A. Maximum tolerable dose of cyclophosphamide and azathioprine in Pakistani patients with primary renal disease. J Pak Med Assoc 2004; 54: 39-42.
26. Rabbani MA, Khan AA, Ali SS, Ahmad B, Baig SM, Khan MA, Wasay M. Spectrum of complications and mortality of bacterial meningitis: an experience from a developing country. J Pak Med Assoc 2003; 53: 580-583.
27. Qidwai W, Baqir M, Ali SS, Ayub S. Patient complaints among emergency room patients at a teaching hospital in Karachi. Journal of Liaquat University of Medicine and Health Sciences 2003; 2: 50-52.
28. Rabbani MA, Zaidi A, Ali SS, Anas B, Younus A, Shah SMA. Renovascular hypertension: factors affecting the outcome following surgical revascularization. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transplant 2003; 14: 469-474.
29. Khan G, Ali SS, Fatimi SH. Bidirectional cavopulmonary shunt for cyanotic heart disease: surgical experience from a developing country. J Pak Med Assoc 2003; 53: 506-508.
30. Ali SS, Rizvi SZH, Muzaffar S, Ahmad A, Ali A, Hassan SH. Renal cortical necrosis: A case series of nine patients and review of literature. Journal of Ayub Med College 2003; 15: 41-44.
31. Alam M, Akhtar YN, Ali SS, Ahmed M, Atiq M, Ansari A, Chaudhry FA, Bashir H, Bangash MA, Awais A, Safdar S, Hasnain SF, Zafar A. Seasonal variation in bacterial pathogens isolated from stool samples in Karachi, Pakistan. J Pak Med Assoc 2003; 53: 125-129.
32. Ali SS, Muzaffar S, Kayani N, Setna F. Capillary hemangioma of the uterus: a rare cause of menorrhagia. Australian and New Zealand J Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2003; 43: 85-86.
33. Ali SS, Saeed O, Muzaffar S, Riaz T, Setna F, Ayub S. Fallopian tube carcinoma presenting as cervical growth: the dilemma of skip metastasis. Australian and New Zealand J Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2003; 43: 82-84.
34. Qidwai W, Qureshi H, Azam SI, Ali SS, Ayub S. Perceptions on bioethics among general practitioners in Karachi, Pakistan. Pak J Med Sci 2002; 18: 221-26.
35. Babar N, Alam M, Ali SS, Ansari A, Atiq M, Awais A, Amin F, Israr SM. Anorexic behavior and attitudes among female medical and nursing students at a private university hospital. J Pak Med Assoc 2002; 52: 272-76.
36. Qidwai W, Azam SI, Ali SS, Ayub S. The utilization of services of health care providers among patients presenting to family physicians at a teaching hospital in Karachi, Pakistan. J Pak Med Assoc 2002; 52: 269-72.
37. Rabbani MA, Ahmad A, Shah SMA, Mozzaffar T, Moolani M, Ali SS. Ischemic monomelic neuropathy: a complication of vascular access procedure. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transplant 2002; 13: 60-62.
38. Ikram M, Saeed O, Ali SS, Salahuddin I. Necrotizing fascitis of head and neck: the Pakistani experience. Asian J Surgery 2002; 25: 13-17.
39. Baig SG, Ahmed SP, Khan RA, Ali SS. Comparative studies of safi and ferrous gluconate on human volunteers. Pakistan Journal of Pharmacology 2002; 19: 21-31.
40. Saeed SA, Connor JD, Rasheed H, Gilani AH, Lodhi S, Ali SS, Rashid S, Khan E, Shah BH. Wortmannin inhibits platelet aggregation produced by interaction of -amino butyric acid and the Calcium Inophore, A23187. Research Communications in Molecular Pathology and Pharmacology 2001; 1109: 87-93.
41. Rahim A, Ali SA, Hassan F, Ali SS, Haque N. Drug release from different ointment bases. Pakistan Journal of Pharmacology 2001; 18: 10-13.
42. Qidwai W, Qureshi H, Ali SS, Alam M, Azam SI. Physician assisted suicide perceptions among patients presenting to family physicians at a teaching hospital in Karachi, Pakistan. J Pak Med Assoc 2001; 51: 233-237.
43. Rahim A, Ali SA, Hassan F, Ali SS, Haque N. Effect of particle size on drug release from ointment bases. Pakistan Journal of Pharmacology 1999; 16: 25-28.
44. Ahmad A, Ali SA, Hassan F, Ali SS, Haque N. Evaluation of acetaminophen tablets by control test. Pak J Pharm Sci 2001; 14: 47-55.
45. Ahmad A, Ali SA, Hassan F, Ali SS, Haque N. Dissolution rate studies in acetaminophen tablets. Pak J Pharm Sci 2000; 13: 39-43.
RESEARCH WORK PRESENTATIONS:
Ali SS, Olinger CC, Sobotka PA, Bernard S, Dahle TG, Bunte MC, Blake D, Campbell S, Boyle AJ. Enhanced sodium extraction with ultrafiltration compared to intravenous diuretics. At Regional American College of Physicians Meeting 2006 November 3rd to 4th, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
Ali SS, Olinger CC, Sobotka PA, Bernard S, Dahle TG, Bunte MC, Blake D, Campbell S, Boyle AJ. Enhanced sodium extraction with ultrafiltration compared to intravenous diuretics. At Heart Failure Society of America10th Annual Scientific Meeting 2006 September 10th to 13th, Seattle, Washington, USA.
Ali SS, Boyle A. “Effect of rapamycin on hematological, renal and lipid profiles in heart transplant recipients.” At Regional American College of Physicians Meeting 2005 November 4th to 5th, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
Ali SS, Malik A, Abraham P. “Acute renal failure and Fanconi syndrome in an AIDS patient on tenofovir treatment.” At Regional American College of Physicians Meeting 2004 November 5th to 6th, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
Ali SS, Haqqee R, Khan MA, Qasim Z, Beg MA. “Diagnosis of mixed Plasmodium infection in a region with chloroquine drug resistance.” At 1st International Congress of Infectious Diseases 2003 March 28th to 30th , Liaquat National Hospital, Karachi, Pakistan.
Ali SS, Ahmad S, Saeed O, Ahmad M, Umar M, Umer M. “Developmental dysplasia of hip in older children – an experience of a tertiary care hospital from a developing country.” At 13th European Students’ Conference 2002 October 29th to November 2nd, Berlin, Germany.
Ali SS, Saeed O, Salam A, Ghaffar AA, Nadeem S, Burney IA. “Spinal cord compression secondary to cancers in Pakistani patients: causes and outcomes.” At National Symposium - Current Challenges in Oncology 2001 September 17th to 18th, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan.
Saeed O, Ali SS, Salam A, Burney IA. “Tumor induced hypercalcemia in Pakistani patients: causes and outcomes.” At National Symposium - Current Challenges in Oncology 2001 September 17th to 18th, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan.
Raza J, Shamsi G, Alavi M, Ali SS, Raza S, Ahmed J, Chaudary N. “What do students know of hepatitis B?” At National Symposium - Current Challenges in Oncology 2001 September 17th to 18th, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan.
Saeed SA, Gilani AH, Rasheed H, Ali SS, Khan E, Lodhi S, Rashid S, Shah BH. “Wortmannin inhibits GABA and Calcium Ionophore induced platelet aggregation.” At Pharmacology Vancouver 2001 March 25th to 29th, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Jilani SM, Khan S, Ali SS, Habib HB, Lodhi S, Sabih M, Salam A, Burney IA, Siddiqui T. “Preoperative chemotherapy (Pre-CT) for inoperable locally advanced breast cancer (LABC): a single institute’s experience.” At First SAARC Conference on Clinical Oncology 2001 March 8th to 10th, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
1. Ali SS, Grossman PM. Pulmonary angiography. In: Cardiovascular Catheterization and Intervention: A Textbook of Coronary, Peripheral, and Structural Heart Disease.
2. Ali SS, Gurm H. Evaluation of a Patient with Chest Pain. In: Cardiovascular Medicine for Hospitalists. (under editorial review).